Sunday, January 30, 2011

SUNDAY

My apologies for the lack of a post yesterday. As usual there was some uncertainty over the forecast and I got tied up with the Capital Classic (a 2.8k swim in Wellington Harbour). The wind dropped for long enough to make it a very pleasant swim

Friday was interesting with a swim at Lyall Bay and an interview with TVNZ The cameraman took his work very seriously and joined me in the surf to get live action footage. Lyall Bay was a bit of a shock to the system. It is a bit closer to Cook Strait than the inner harbour and by my estimate is a good 2 degrees colder.

I took the opportunity to drop in at the Worser Bay Surf Club after the swim. The Club held their centenary celebration this weekend and I was fortunate to meet the two pace men who swam with Barry Davenport on the historic first crossing of the Strait in 1962.

I got confirmation this evening that the weather tomorrow is not swimmable so this set of tides is officially over. I now take my place as second up swimmer in the next set of tides in approximately 2 weeks and of course subject to Wellington weather.

I had a short swim at Oriental Bay this morning with Jo, Megan and Helen who had been rash enough after a few wines last night to offer to join me for a non wetsuit swim. They said they enjoyed it but I think they were lying.

In the meantime I will be back at Takapuna on a regular basis and will hopfully catch up with many of you there.

Posts may be intermittent over the next few weeks. The next tide set is approx 11th to 14th Feb

4 comments:

  1. Hi Geoff, I can just see Helen smiling and saying she enjoyed the swim, when perhaps she did not... "Yes, yes it was wondeful!"
    Tough luck with the weather !

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'll be waiting with baited breath for the next weather window. All crossable things crossed to ensure your success. Guess we'll be seing you tonight at Beach Series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the update, Happy to join you for a lazy swim one of these days

    ReplyDelete